22 July, 2006

Back in general

I am back from Watervale. I read 7 books and spent most of every day wandering around with or without a camera (usually without). I decided that I am going to get my own thing to develop film in, but that is a problem because I don't know what it's called. Photographers! What is it called! It's that black can thing with a spool that holds the film so that I can put chemicals in it. I need help figuring this out.

Right now I am in a really anti-social mood, and have been for some time now. In fact, I've been in varying degrees of anti-social for the past couple months. I kind of wonder if it is just a long-ish phase, or if I just don't really like people. Anyway, I decided that it's ridiculous and I am going to start doing some serious hanging out. You heard me.

I decided that I am going to make some mood mixes. Right now what I mean by that is mood mix, because I've only thought of one mood that I want to make a mix for. I am putting together my Power! Mix. The idea is that when you listen to it, every song makes you feel like you are awesome and that you can do anything. So far, it has four songs, and only one of them is the Final Countdown (the other three are by the go team). I have high expectations for this project.

Also while I was gone I had a bunch of realisations about, uh, everything I guess. Mostly spiritual or psychological stuff, so I'll spare you most of it. But my favourite one was about honesty and compassion.

I was thinking about how so many people favour being nice to being honest. So if I have a booger hanging out of my nose at a nice dinner party, is anybody about to tell me? No of course not. A smaller number of people hate that, and will then be honest always. I used to look at this as an "I guess that's the best thing". Until I realised that it isn't just about honesty, and it's also about compassion. See, the majority of people tend toward dishonest compassion, while those who rebel against that are honest, but without compassion. Thing is, you can actually do both, and pretty easily as long as you're mindful of it. And picking one or the other is bad no matter what. Dishonest compassion makes you a bumbling fool, while honesty without compassion becomes cruelty.

Night.
-Matt

No comments: