26 April, 2006

Medicinal Noodles

I just remembered the title of my blog, so I decided it was time I put in a recipe.

Medicinal Noodles

This recipe is great if you have a lot of vegetables that are starting to go bad, but are still edible, yet you don't really want to eat them. It is also great any other time too. By the way, I recommend Shin Ramyun noodles. They are the best I have had so far. If you cannot tolerate spicy things (wimp), then you should probably avoid Shin Ramyun, though (wimp). Anyway, it makes a soup with plenty of noodles and vegetables. Plus it is really easy and quick to make, and easy and quick to clean up. And since none of my directions give exact amounts, you can feel like you are a master chef, just using your good sense. I like this recipe a lot.

  • One packet per person of ramen noodles
  • A pot with an amount of water that makes sense
  • Vegetables, onions, mushrooms, etc.

Throw (carefully place) the pot with water on the stove and get it boiling. You'll need it later, so don't throw it out. Once you have put it on, search for any vegetables (and by vegetables I mean anything) you can find that would make sense in a soup. My favourites are carrots, broccoli, red onions, pre-soaked shiitake mushrooms, and small bok choy. Seriously though, you would have to try pretty hard to screw this recipe up. Experiment! Try garlic, egg, whatever. Let me know if you find anything particularly cool.

Anyway, chop the stuff down to sizes that can fit in your mouth. Also cut the stems off of mushrooms.

When the water starts boiling, toss in the noodles and packets of broth and stuff. Also toss in "hard vegetables" as I call them. For example, broccoli and carrots are "hard," whereas spinach and green beans are not. After a few minutes, the noodles should be done cooking. Turn off the heat, and throw in the rest of the vegetables. You may be thinking at this point, "but if the heat is off how do those vegetables cook." Think about it: the water was just boiling. They'll cook with or without a flame, and it's better to undercook than over cook. After stirring them in, let it sit for a minute or two, and serve as soon as possible.

Maybe garnish with something. I don't know. You figure it out. This is not a recipe that you can do wrong, unless you do it on purpose.

No comments: