17 December, 2008

Dieting

So I am looking into dieting.  It is kind of fun because basically nowhere is geared toward the type of dieting I want to do (ie I need to eat more, not less).  I should be getting 2,000–2,500 calories per day depending on how active I am, and normally I think I get about 1,000.  That is very unhealthy!

So yeah, I need to double my food intake somehow.  Meaning I am going to start trying to count calories, etc.

Calorie-counting is hard!  It’s like, I get a big ten burrito.  I don’t know how many calories are in there!  Is there a website somewhere where you can just enter  in amounts of ingrediants, and it gives you nutrition facts?  I mean that would be super.

There are a lot of websites that offer calorie information, but it is based on something someone else filled out.  For example, thedailyplate.com says a burrito is 300 calories. I don’t know if you’ve eaten a big ten burrito, but I would guess that there are well over double that amout in a big ten burrito.

Back to how I am unusual in the way I am doing this, it’s fun to see sites that say, like, “How to cut calories out of such and such.”  They are everywhere.  You never find anything that’s like, “looking for some extra calories?  Put 2 lbs. swiss cheese on top of everything you eat!”

Do people really eat so much that they need to watch their calories?  I am going to have a hard time making sure that I eat enough.  I just find it unfathomable that most people not only eat double what I eat, but probably eat triple what I eat, because they need to cut back on their intake.

The other thing I need to look at is actual nutrition.  I think I am going to try to drink 2 cans of ensure per day, so I won’t need vitamins.  They will be good snacks in between meals.  Also they are 350 calories, so that takes care of one third of my food.  They would also cover half of my protein and have a lot of unsaturated fats.  They also have a lot of sugar, so I shouldn’t eat a bunch of other sweet things.

I think I should make a huge amount of steel cut oats regularly.  Like, in a stock pot.  That way I would only need to heat up however much I wanted whenever I wanted it.  Oats have like, mad fiber.

I also need to eat vegetables.  I think I will eat in the cafeteria a couple times a week, and pile on vegetables when I do.  Otherwise, I just need to start buying vegetables and cooking them.

Anyway I’m rambling at this point, so I’ll cut this off.

No comments: