19 December, 2008

I have to get a new phone :(

I really like this old phone.  It has served me very well and has never failed at the simple, most important task of allowing me to talk to people who are not physically close to me.

Phone, you have never waivered in doing a good job.  You are falling apart, yet your battery is good as ever.  You get wonderful reception all the time (even sometimes in Jesse’s basement).  You do not force me to have a stupid instructional phrase at the end of my voice mail, informing people that they can page me by pressing 5.

Phone, you are practical.  You are everything anyone could want in a phone, and nothing else.  Your internet connection sucks, your camera sucks, your features suck.  This is nice, because it does not distract me from your actual purpose (you are a phone, not a game boy).

You have an antenna that I can pull out.  New phones do not.  I don’t know why—maybe they are obsolete now.  But I still like being able to have control over the reception.

Please give a moment of silence (5–10 seconds) for my wonderful phone.

I will get a new phone later today.  I hope it serves me as well as you have.  Even if it does, I will not forget the two years of quality service that you have given to me.

Yours,
Matt

1 comment:

Matthew A LaChance said...

Normally I am all for replacing old technology with new technology (like with my computer, for example). But my phone is perfect. I don't need a new phone because there is nothing than can possibly improve. Which means I am either wasting a perfectly good phone and getting something I already have, or I am getting something worse. Lose-lose

Also, nobody EVER presses 5 to page me, or presses 1 for more options. EVER.