21 June, 2006

Inconvenient Truth

I just saw the movie; everybody ever should see it.

That said, it did leave me with a couple of questions: (1) Gore said they took a sample of some large number of scientific articles and none of them hinted that there was any doubt about global warming being a huge doubt. He did not specify as to what kind of survey. If it was a random sample, then that's all fine, but he didn't say that, he just said "sample." (2) There were a lot of pictures of glaciers over time and it would have the year in the corner. Obviously, the glaciers were much smaller / gone when the year was more modern. I would want to know what time of year it was, though. If the past picture was taken in the winter, and the present picture in the summer, then, well, that accounts for a lot of the difference.

Gore is a smart guy, so I'm sure he's thought of this. But if it wasn't a random sample, and the pictures were taken at different times of year, that would leave a gaping hole for people to to attack him. And it would be a shame if that undermined the clear message of the movie. I'm not going to bother looking it up though. I mean, if it is bogus, then I'm sure it will become clear. If it's not, the movie will be unchallenged, and hey, great.

Yeah but anyway, see the movie. I give it three thumbs up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it and don't intend to but does it mention that basically glaciation is the norm for history (A large % of the time humans have evolved has been spent during a glacial period) and that it's theorized that because of the way the solar system works that the planet just kind of cycles through these things like crazy.

Also that the big fear is not that things will heat up but rather that the melting of the glaciers will cause things to rapidly cool

Also at one point does he slip into small talk and just kind of chill with you for a few minutes, maybe smoke a blunt or something

-g

Matthew A LaChance said...

Actually he basically debunked the hell out of both those points. He even debunked the idea that he would smoke "reefer." I want to spend some time looking up actual stuff about this though. Why aren't you seeing it.

Anonymous said...

how exactly did he debunk the point that glaciers existed in the past and there were periods where they did not exist in the past, and that these periods happened one after another

I don't want to see it because I don't want to pay 9 dollars to see a retarded keynote presentation by a political figure with an agenda and to be quite honest I do not care about the issue that much at this point in time, the movie will perhaps change opinions but for the most part any damage that we have done is already done, the focus now should be on technologies that help us survive whatever does happen whether it be heating or cooling.

Matthew A LaChance said...

See, there actually weren't periods with no glaciers. There were periods where it was more like now, with such as polar ice caps and Greenland, but never no glaciers. The glaciers that do exist apparently act like ice cubes for the planet and regulate the temperature. If they melted, there would be absolutely nothing to cool the planet.

According to Al Gore anyway. Also according to Al Gore, no scientists disagree about this. It's just the popular press and people that don't know what they're talking about that are sceptical.

Like me. I am kind of sceptical about that. But I have no idea how I can really find out. I'd like to though.

Also as for caring about the issue (according to my own analysis of Gore's evidence), if we don't do something pretty major about this, the global temperature would go up to above water's boiling point in about 50 years. That's my own vague graph analysis though. But if that is correct, then shit.