10 December, 2006

Oh right my blog

I am back from my several-day hiatus from posting here. This was not really a great weekend for me. Actually it is so far pretty mediocre-at-best. Right now, I could be / want to be at the temple, but I have work that starts before the service ends, so I can't go. I really kind of need to go to the temple as well.

Friday night I went to my first party in a long time. I went because it was the cafeteria party. I figured there would be a bunch of people I liked, and so I would have fun. Unfortunately, drunk people are basically obnoxious if you aren't drunk. I mean, it is fun to be in a group of sober people with one drunk person, and it is fun to be drunk among drunk people, but being sober among drunk people is mostly annoying. I did get to hang out with Nora for a good while after, but she was drunk, and drunk people suck. Yeah, I think I'm just not going to do parties.

Maybe if people really want me to go I will show up for a few minutes and then leave unannounced. This way, I won't have wasted my time much, I probably would even enjoy the few minutes I would be there. Also, people wouldn't notice me leaving, and would assume I stayed for longer, and it would make them happy that I did show up. Everybody wins if I barely come. So that is what I will do from now on.

But seriously, drunk people suck. I really don't get being drunk. My only rationale is that people aren't comfortable with themselves and feel like they need to drink to lose their inhibitions and become more like themselves. For we few people who are comfortable with ourselves and act like ourselves most of the time, drinking is a silly thing to do. Seriously, if people have thoughts on this, I want to hear them. Particularly people who get drunk. I mean, I know that you are probably the one person who reads this blog, but don't let that stop you from posting / talking to me about this.

Anyway that is my assessment. Most people feel like they can't be themselves, and drinking helps them loosen up. Argue!

Anyway, yesterday I worked and it was boring. Then I saw Borat, which is exactly how Jesse described it: "a movie that everybody should see once." Speaking of Jesse, I am glad I went to that party because Jesse was there and wasn't drunk and I talked to him. He is someone who has made it to my mental "awesome" list, and I want to hang out with him more. I should hang out with him more.

Anyway, I stayed up late last night talking about fun with Matt Steele and Adam. Good times. But still, I just feel overall bad this weekend. I feel kind of like the title of my blog. Anyway, I'ma go do my laundry.

3 comments:

Matthew A LaChance said...

Possible response: People get drunk because they like being drunk and have fun while they are drunk.

My response: People also have fun when they aren't drunk, and should have the same amount of fun either way (I for example, have as much fun sober as drunk (probably more, because I am a tired and confused drunk)). The idea that most people have more fun when drunk mostly just defends my point that most people aren't themselves most of the time.

Anonymous said...

I think getting drunk is something do without any sort of rationale behind it. I doubt very much people think "I'm not comfortable with myself, so I'm going to get drunk so I can be myself and then people won't think I'm weird." I think a lot of people are like,

"Hey! Free alcohol!" and then get drunk. Because not everyone just acts silly or whatever when drunk. I know so many people who just sob and sob and hate themselves in front of everyone, and I doubt they drink for that result.

I dunno.

Gynelle

Matthew A LaChance said...

I guess I feel like what with drinking being pretty bad for you, you should have a reason for doing it. I guess I give people too much credit for even thinking that much?