31 December, 2006

Warning, a lot of hate in this post

Over the past week I have been hating the hell out of religion in general. It mainly started when I read that Sam Harris book. At first I actually disagreed with him a lot, but I've been thinking about it a hella lot and I really do hate religions. I feel like they only cause harm.

A religion is just one more form of separation from other people. A way of feeling superior to the people who aren't in your club. We already have race, sexuality, age, gender, and language; we don't need yet another way of shouting at your neighbour, "I AM DIFFERENT FROM YOU." Not different, better.

Now, many people get a lot out of going to services for their religion or whatever. Hell, I went to Catholic mass yesterday and got a lot out of it. But now that I'm not brainwashed by the church I can see the difference between getting a lot out of the religion, and getting a lot of comfort from familiarity. Of course I got a lot out of it. I grew up with Christianity. It's nostalgic.

Even in Buddhism, there are different sects. Now, they all pride themselves in not judging, but judgement is a natural human reaction to anything. This is basic survival. So when a Japanese monk comes to a Korean temple, all the things he notices are the ways they do things differently. Grey robes instead of black. Only one hwadu instead of all the koans. Et cetera. I recall a Japanese monk saying exactly this. He went on to talk about how he realised he was focusing on all the wrong things, and that really we had way more in common than different. That is wisdom.

Religions encourage people to judge people of other religions. That is my first problem with religions. My second problem is that they encourage people to think that wonderful happenings must have been caused by a god or higher being.

When it rains for two months, it is because of the way the atmosphere is. When a poor man gets a job, climbs the ladder, and becomes rich, it is because he willed it to be so. Why can't we accept that humans are very wonderful on their own? Why should either event be caused by a god? Both are very possible, however unlikely. When a tsunami kills thousands of people on Christmas Eve, what makes that have anything to do with god? It doesn't. Yet many people felt righteous enough to say it was God punishing the non-believers. I have nothing but hatred for righteous people of any kind. Fuck them.

Religions do not make people better. I have no religion, and I am (stepping away from modesty for a moment) a hella good person. By the way, for those of you who are saying "I thought you were Buddhist," I stopped being Buddhist months ago. I go to the temple because I think meditation is wonderful, as are all the things we do at the temple. I think the teachings of Buddhism are right on. But that doesn't make me a Buddhist. It doesn't because I doubt the teachings and judge them. I decide whether or not I like a teaching. That is using my own moral compass, and not that of a religion. I affiliate myself most with Buddhism because I rarely (not never, though) find a teaching that I find unbeneficial. Therefore, I am not completely accepting the teachings of Buddhism, and am putting myself outside of the religion to judge it.

I believe the same to be true of anyone who does not follow their entire religion. If you are one of those people, please think about it. Are you actually getting positive things out of your faith, or are you actually just using your own considerable knowledge and wisdom to pick and choose? Are you getting anything positive out of services, or are they just comforting because they are familiar? Please give it some honest, open-minded thought. If I'm wrong, tell me. But be prepared for an argument, and be prepared to tell me exactly what you do get out of it.

Religions only cause harm. The good parts of religion are (depending on the religion) the teachings and practises. But stay away from beliefs, because that leads to righteousness. How else can you be when you have absolutely no evidence to support your claim of there being a god. Yes, I can't prove that there is no god, but I don't have the burden of proof here. I don't believe in anything that hasn't been already proven. Not out of ease, but out of common sense. Think about it. Why should there be a god? Because you like the idea of some all-powerful being controlling everything? That idea makes you more comfortable with the world? Okay, then whatever. At least recognise that there is not a shred of evidence to support your claim, and kindly keep your mouth shut about it. Just because you feel more at ease thinking that we are not capable of greatness on our own does not mean that other people do or even should agree.

I hate religion.

By the way, Nora, if you happen to read this, your note did not cause this. I was planning on making this post before I got it. It did make me feel a little more strongly about it, but I've been feeling like this a while.

Anyway, back to addressing all the readers, you can comment on this if you want, but I'd rather have a real conversation about it. Please do convince me I'm wrong. I don't like hating things.

5 comments:

Matthew A LaChance said...

Sorry for the incoherence of this post. This is much better conversation material than it is blog material. Talk to me about it.

Anonymous said...

Will you really be at this party?

If you will really be at this party, I will talk about religion with you.

Matthew A LaChance said...

Of course I'll be at the party; I promised!

Anonymous said...

Is feeling comfort from the familiarily of a service all that bad? I think it's one of the best reasons to go. It's a much better reason compared to recomfirming again and again pre-set beliefs with a priest/rabbi/minister and a congregation who believe in the same way you do.

I also think that it's not altoghether bad to pick and choose what you want to believe from a religion. One of the reasons religion sucks is that people assume you either have to accept all of it or none of it. It causes many, myself included, to feel alienated. I'm sorry if what I'm about to say is a little too personal, I know I can't generalize based on my experiences. But anyway, in my case, I'm starting to realize that I want to continue having an identity associated with Judaism for the sake of preserving a culture that has stubbornly survived for thousands of years (despite being a convienent skapegoat for many civilizations). Therefore, I mostly identify with Judaism culturally. However, some religious elements are an important part of the culture such as circumcision, bat mitzvahs, hannukah candles, passover seders, fasting on yom kippur, etc. Therefore, I practice these things because I want to feel a cultural connection. Everybody wants to feel like they belong to something.

This pride in one's religious identification does not inherently cause a feeling of superiority or undoubting beliefs. You've got it right by saying that it can, but I think it mainly depends on the person. I feel proud of my Jewishness, and I would love my children to feel a certain amount of pride in it. But I certaintly wouldn't want myself or my children to believe everything Judaism the RELIGION says at face value. That is where free will and choosing one's spiritual beliefs comes in.

Man I think so much better in writing than in real time. Now I'm ready to discuss this further with you.

Love!

Matthew A LaChance said...

Josh: Haha great. We should hang out by the way. I haven't seen you in basically months and we go to the same college. No excuse.

Nora: Well, I'd respond, but we will have so much time to talk about it so I'll wait. Also why are you awake at 8am when you probably went to bed at like 5.