15 December, 2006

Spamalot

I just watched Spamalot. I feel like I should have enjoyed it a lot, but it really didn't do much for me. It lacked oomph. That said, the Lady of the Lake was fucking sweet.

I was going to end my entry there, but I am actually going to rant a little. About how I feel like I should have enjoyed it. I don't know why I feel like this, but I feel like people will think less of me that I did not find the play to be very funny at all. Especially such as my family (I told them I liked it a lot). It's like, a part of me is very tired of seeing Monty Python's Holy Grail, and another part of me found the play quite flat on its own. The combination of the two didn't work very well for me.

Also I don't really like Monty Python that much. There, I said it. I find them humourless, and somewhat irritating (albeit with many exceptions). But most of my love for Monty Python is created from pressure from everyone around me. Everyone I respect just completely loves Monty Python and finds every one of their jokes outrageously hilarious, and if I said I didn't like Monty Python, they would undoubtedly rip me apart. On one hand, that probably isn't true, but on the other hand, dear reader, I bet your Respect-O-Metre™ is going down for me right now.

Admit it. It is. But you know what, I am not going to pretend to like them anymore. I am done with that. I have felt pressured because of my Britishness, and because of all my friends/family, but liking Monty Python is just not me.

That said, please don't get me wrong. I love some of the stuff Monty Python does. Like the Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life song, or the Galaxy song, or a number of great moments they had. But as a whole, I really don't like their style. It seems dull, forced, and overall trying too hard. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun Fact: While I personally adore Monty Python, my respect-o-meter didn't go down because you don't like them. I'm really surprised you're willing to pretend you do because everyone else does. That's so silly! Most people would be surprised that you don't like them, but wouldn't lose respect, I think, because we all know you have a great sense of humor already. Most of your friendships are so well established by now that you don't need to confirm that you're awesome to us by conforming.

--Gynelle

Matthew A LaChance said...

I mean, hey, I get peer pressure and stuff too. Just in unusual ways. It's like, I don't know anybody [who I respect] that doesn't like Monty Python. If I did, then I would have come out not liking them a long time ago.

Thanks for saying that, Gynelle.