20 August, 2006

Third post in a few hours

I decided that I am not going to buy the Optimus Keyboard when it comes out. I have a couple problems with it, and, cool as it is, it isn't worth it to me for these reasons.

First of all, it's not a very dust-proof or cleanable design. That is also one of the reasons that I dislike Apple's keyboard (I heard they fixed this problem recently?); after a while it gets disgusting. I think that for a keyboard that is this beautiful, they should ensure that it will stay beautiful.

Second, I don't like OLED technology. As far as I know, anyway. OLED is faster than e-paper, but I still would rather it use e-paper because of longevity. OLED pixels can be on for about 5000 hours, which is apparently a couple years of regular use. Some people might like getting a new keyboard every couple of years, but when I get things, I plan on having them for 5 or 10 years if possible. Electronic Paper, on the other hand, seems to last basically forever. Plus it has a memory, so it will display things even while off.

It seems like the OLED/e-paper trade-off is between animations and longevity. I can see how a lot of people would want animations, and I can see how that would be a better starting place, but I would rather hold out for the latter. I mean, if you want to market this new awesome idea, I can see that animations are the best thing ever. That way people go WOW and take out their wallets. A changing keyboard is great, but not great enough for a first idea.

I'm hoping that after the shock wears off and Optimus gets off the ground, they will come out with the improvements I named. I don't really want an animating keyboard. It would be really cool the day I got it, and would be awesome to show people, but for me the excitement would be temporary, and I'd rather the keyboard not be temporary as well. If I want animating keys, I'll buy the Mini-3.

So, Artemy Lebedev, in case you happen to read this, I will buy your product if you do those two things.

1 comment:

Matthew A LaChance said...

All those keys open applications that you define. I have no idea what the donkey does. Do notice that Firefox doesn't make the cut on the application list.

Yeah let's hang out.