07 August, 2006

A thought followed by brief excitement

After a conversation with Kate (who is very great by the way) I got to thinking about optimism. I am generally an optimistic person wherever possible, and I could imagine people telling me that I am foolish to be that way. So, I decided to ask myself if it is actually foolish. And if it isn't, why isn't it?

Well, I think it ultimately depends on how much you know. For example, if the weather forecast says "200% chance hurricane" it would be silly (not optimistic) to say "I BET IT IS SUNNY AND NICE ALL DAY." On the other hand, if you have no idea what the weather will be like, and have no way of finding out, then this is where grey area begins. Some people (me) might argue that since there is no way of knowing, you may as well assume it will be sunny. Others might argue that you should assume it will rain, so you won't be upset if it does. This paragraph assumes, of course, that you prefer sunshine to rain.

Now that was one example. But what about the world, or human beings, or something like that. What humans will do is completely unpredictable (that is to say, you can come up with several good predictions, but you have no way of actually knowing until after-the-fact). So, should you be pessimistic about them, or optimistic? Well do what you want. I've decided that it makes no difference. Whether you have high hopes or no expectations, you aren't more or less "prepared." Just like with rain. Just because you assume it will rain doesn't mean you have to not bring an umbrella.

So I have rationalised my optimism to myself with this: I would rather be disappointed when things go badly than be satisfied when things go badly.

Brief excitement: The Optimus Mini-Three starts shipping in a week, which means the Optimus Keyboard will be coming soon. Oh man oh man oh man oh man!

1 comment:

Matthew A LaChance said...

Should have been clearer: When I say optimism, I mean when there is no known answer. When there is a rational solution, be it "good" or "bad," I will go for it over foolish optimism. I mean, I'm not dumb.

I'm talking about situations where it's a matter of guessing. In those situations, I like assuming the best.