09 September, 2005

I guess my writing needs a lot of work

So I am reading one of the books required for my writing class, Writing With Power by Peter Elbow. In there it says that people who already have a very controlled writing style will have a lot of trouble writing with power and it will take a while, while people who don't like writing or do not have a controlled style will be able to get it far sooner.

Well, I am pretty sure that I have a very controlled voice. A very controlled voice. It's too bad, really, because this is something I had hoped to develop quicker. Quicker than what? I don't even know. I suppose it doesn't really matter when it comes down to it, but still. I feel kind of gypped. It's like, I've worked so hard developing a voice that I kind of like and I have become very accustomed to using it, and now this is suddenly a bad thing. Dangit!

It's not like I was expecting the book to say something different, but I guess it just went and said what I didn't want to hear, you know? It's like, now I'm stuck with this stupid boring voice that doesn't come up with anything that could be called feeling yet the people who don't even like writing will master the power voice in writing like that (I snapped my fingers).

Then again, what am I so worried about? It's not like this is an ability that I need to come up with quickly. Everything worth being a thing takes time. It's like doing homework. No really. I have been at college for less than a week and I already know this.

When you do homework, you have to take a while. Whether you want to or not. See, you need to spread it out over the period of time you have to do it. Anything you do the night before will show it. Oh yes, it will show it.

Plus, if you give things the time they deserve, you make life easier for yourself. For example, I figure I have 3 classes. Therefore, I should spend an hour a day on each class. So I reserve three hours each day for study. If I honestly do not have anything to do for the slotted class, I get to work on another class of my choosing.

Of course, on Fridays and Saturdays, I have more hours reserved for study, simply because I have more time. One day, I hope to figure out a schedule that allows me to finish all my work before the weekend, and then I can say "I don't work on Shabbos!" It would be really cool if I could actually pull that off.

Until then, I'll just have to settle for doing my work, I guess.

No comments: