14 September, 2005

Math math math math

I really need to get a college system going. Right now I am kind of dying of complete lack of sleep. Yeah, I still have that procrastination probalo. I really should make a schedule. But right now instead of scheduling things I am putting them off. Blegh. College is kinda hard, by the way, for those of you who aren't there already.

Matt's Words Of Wisdom™:

Preschool:
You learn nothing. Nothing.
Elementary School:
You learn a very basic and simple foundation for knowledge.
Middle School:
Now you actually have do do some work. Haha, just kidding. You do learn things, though.
High School:
Here you actually need to do work. Plus you learn a lot. However, as long as you do your homework and coursework, you will be a-ok.
College:
Well, you gotta do your homework. But not the night before. You gotta do it the week before. And you also have to study. Like, even if you aren't assigned anything (unlikely) you still have to do work.
Grad School:
I would rather not think about this right now.
Real Life:
Not thinking not thinking not thinking

I think that when it comes down to it, everything just keeps getting harder. That's life. Oh, yeah, and then there's retirement. Where it would be really awesome because you have no obligations, except that you're too old to do anything fun anymore, so you just play bridge and golf instead. What a way to go.

Anyway, this is whole college thing is really hard. It is a much bigger adjustment for me than going from middle school to high school was. It's just so much more, I dunno, big. I guess a huge factor is the lack of parents. I always could count on them to yell at me to get working, but now, I've got nobody. I have Wilson I guess, but we are both bad influences on each other, work-wise.

So, all in all, here is why college is important and is so necessary to get a job (I think):

If you're going to work for say a car company, they could care less about the actual knowledge you gained in college. The reasons that college helps you are, theoretically, you learned to discipline yourself, you can cope with a lot of work and stress and still meet deadlines, you can do quality work, you can multi-task, you have social skills, you can balence work with social life with sleep.

Any time a business hires someone they know nothing about, they take a gamble. If this person graduated from college, it is less of a gamble, because the person in question probably is able to do a good job.

No comments: