27 September, 2006

Just occurred to me, and I wish I had a person to talk to rather than a blog to write in

Why do I care about humans so much? I think I am completely a materialist at this point, all believing that humans evolved just like the rest of animals. I mean, it makes sense. In the past few thousand years, humans have developed remarkably, but we are after all just a race of animals in a meaningless universe. Why do I feel the need to help them out?


Seriously, I'm not going to go on about how bad humans are, because if we are all animals, what are we bad compared to? We just have a lot of power, and we aren't good at wielding it. What's so wrong with that? Nothing. But what makes them worth "saving" or helping? Nothing. If it's all meaningless, why do I care?


I guess it's because I am a part of the human race. I am a human, therefore it is my responsibility to further my race as best I can. As far as what is best for the universe, I don't think there is such a thing as good or bad, as it is all relative. What if we destroy Earth and ourselves and all life on Earth? So what? Is it a shame? What if we are the only life in the universe and we destroy ourselves? If a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear or see it, who cares? I am a human, so I will do what I will.


Also, what is real? I mean, we have our five senses, but does anybody ever feel that they are lacking? I do. On other occasions, I will feel other people's presence in a more "real" way. But what is real other than what we perceive? Each of us has our own perception of the world. We aren't right or wrong, we're just permanently subjective. How can we be objective when we only know what we can see, smell, hear, taste, touch, and think?


To answer all of my questions, we cannot be objective, we do not matter in any "big scheme of things," and there is no objective right or wrong. But we do have personal goals and visions. And they have plenty of personal meanings. And they are real.


In other news, college is disappointingly easy. I also found all the episodes of Look Around You on YouTube. I would link you to them, but they are not hard to find. Anyway, I hate how people procrastinate, and keep doing it and then when you ask if they can hang out they say no because they have all this work, but you know that they are just going to keep procrastinating, so they may as well hang out with you. Bye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But this way you talk to lots of people. Kind of.

Also, I am very guilty of the procrastination thing. Except what's worse is when I procrastinate, agree to hang out with people, procrastinate some more, and then get bad grades.

And I have no idea about the human thing. I really cannot understand why I care about humans. However, I'm pretty sure I do, and strongly.

Anonymous said...

"But what makes them worth "saving" or helping? Nothing. If it's all meaningless, why do I care?"

See? That's been my point all along. I really don't see any redeeming qualities in humanity as a whole. Indivduals are of course different, and yes, indivduals are what make humanity as a whole blah blah. But really, if we're gonna kill ourselves off then I say good. I think we need some natural selection/extinction to wipe us out soon.

Matthew A LaChance said...

But I mean, Gynelle. As I said later, I disagree with that.