27 October, 2006

Groups

So I have been thinking about hanging out with groups. Most often, when I hang out with a group, I come out of it feeling all mega-depressed. And I finally started wondering (a) why and (b) why there are exceptions. Well, I think that two different situations arise when I am in a group. One is that I will hang out with one or two people in the group. When I do this, I don't get depressed, and I have a bunch of fun. However, I think it happens far more that I find that impossible (either because of activities that involve everybody, or because it is not my group of friends so that all the individuals know other people better than they know me).

Whenever I am in this situation, I act like someone I am not. This causes depression. See there, I've figured it out. I hate acting like someone I am not, so I come out of it feeling like shit. Now, the reason that "act like myself" is not a solution is that if I did just act like I normally would, I would be quiet and sit in the corner and do nothing. So the same solution remains: avoid groups whenever possible. If it is not avoidable, then there are more important things than my own momentary happiness, so it's all good.

No comments: